Identify the Location / Use
Before Leasing or Buying:
NOTE: Please check with each office to determine if a fee is required.
- Make an appointment with the Planning & Zoning Division of the County.
- Verify that the proposed business use is compatible with existing zoning.
- Request a copy of the zoning regulation or download it from www.roanokecountyva.gov/comdev (540) 772-2068
- Is a rezoning required?
- Are there any zoning restrictions on the property that will inhibit doing business?
- Will it require a Change of Use?
- Contact the Real Estate Valuation Department to determine whether a Change of Use affects the tax liability. (540) 772-2035
- If a Change of Use is required, then current building codes must be met.
- Make an appointment with the Building Commissioner’s Office to verify code compliance. (540) 772-2065
- Schedule a meeting with the Fire Marshal’s Office to verify the site is in compliance with new fire code. (540) 777-8721
- Contact the Western Virginia Water Authority to verify ample water pressure to the property to support a sprinkler system or meet the product demands. (540) 853-5700